Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Message from Mommy

Calista continues to amaze us with her charm, cheerful outlook on life and rapid developmental growth. As my dad said about Calista, who he nicknamed Little Miss Wonderful, “watch out world!”

Since the last time I wrote in April, Calista has changed in numerous ways, but every day she still wakes up smiling and excited to play. I absolutely love that pure, joyful smile of hers. She sure knows how to light up a room!

Some updates…she weighs more than 15 pounds, has gotten much stronger (she likes to stand up now while grabbing onto our hands!), more verbal (can carry on in-depth conversations with varying levels of intonation – I only wish I could understand her because she clearly has a lot on her mind), and definitely more coordinated (can grasp smaller objects and hold onto toys longer). Her attention span has also expanded -- she is now totally engrossed with a cloth book my Aunt Susan got her titled “My First Farm Book.” When she grabs the book it crinkles and captivates her.

Her vision is also much better. (By the way, her eyes are still a gorgeous blue.) One day as we were walking through Lithia Park in Ashland with Michelle, she was mesmerized by the tree canopy above. I love it when she discovers things as it makes me look at the world anew as well. Sometimes she will stare and stare at her feet and hands and it makes me laugh because I don’t think she’s quite realized that they belong to her!

As you can see from the photos we recently posted we took our first trip back East to Atlanta and DC. Scott played in his first-ever golf tournament, and we celebrated our friends’ Steve and Karen’s wedding. It was a blast. It looks like Calista might be a jet-setting munchkin -- she did so well on the plane that passengers raved about what an excellent baby she was. Proud parents that we are, we could only agree! She also did very well on the road trip to Ashland - thanks to Michelle for all her help calming Calista! She would reach back and massage a leg or an arm and Calista would settle right down and fall asleep. Phew. I couldn’t have done the trip without her. Thanks again to my mom for hosting a lovely brunch in Calista’s honor. We really appreciate all the lovely gifts she received! And thanks again to my dad and Mary for baby sitting while Michelle and I saw "As You Like It." Since little missy wasn't taking her bottle, they listened to music and danced and danced her to sleep.

Since we returned from Ashland Calista’s sleep pattern finally seems to have become somewhat regulated. She now likes to get up around 7-8 am, nap around 9, 1, and 3, and then go to bed sometime between 7-8 pm. Scott and I are very much enjoying having some more quality time together in the evenings. Tomorrow is our 4-year wedding anniversary and our friends Nancy and Paul are coming over to baby sit (thanks guys!). We are hoping that Calista will be a good sleeper for them. Since I go back to work on Monday, and will be in Napa Saturday for my friend’s Liz’s bachelorette wine tasting day, we hope she will like her bottle sooner rather than later.

Speaking of going back to work, while I know I will miss Calista something terrible, I am also looking forward to reclaiming my professional life and getting back into the swing of things at The Urban School. The next chapter unfolds…

No comments: